Thursday, March 2, 2017

Special Addition: Kyle Baker Gallery


#1

#2

#3

#4

#5

#6

#7

#8

#9

On January 18, 2017, I had the liberty to attend a gallery at SXU. Kyle Baker was the artist that showcased many of his prints that included silkscreens of band posters. Each poster in the show was intricate with very fine details. As a class, we were able to walk around the gallery and get up close and personal with each piece. I noticed many of his pieces, when upon closer inspection, had a glittery tint to them in the paint that was used within the silkscreen poster. I found that very unique because I haven't seen that before and I admire the fact that these small details would only have been noticed if you got very close to the work.

A couple of my favorite pieces in the show would have to be 2,3,4 and 5. I found these pieces to be my absolute favorites because each of them were very interesting in the way that the artist utilized the female form within the design. #2 had an open airiness added to the piece with a woman laying down in a field of grass and the lightness of the grass contrasted with her hair and made her really stand out. #3 included a frontal view of a woman's head and within her head she had many different designs and colors used. This poster grabbed my attention because there were so many colors. #4 is probably the best of the best for me because it feels very serene and calm from the use of colors in the poster. The figure's relaxed composure also adds to the serenity of the entire piece. I also like how the text to the poster is only showcased on the left side of the figure and thus, the figure takes up a majority of the canvas. #5 is a poster that really grabs the viewers' attention because of the holographic vibe coming off the canvas. It makes for an ideal poster because everyone is attracted to colors and the shine given off. 

A couple of posters that I liked but weren't my favorite would have to be #1, #6, #7, #8 and #9. I admire the amount of work put into these silkscreens but I don't particularly like them like the others because I feel that they are too busy. I think there's too much going on within each poster and my eyes never can focus on one thing but I have to look section to section in order to see everything. I like viewing a piece in its entirety and not having to break it down to enjoy a piece of art. Overall, I still adore these silkscreens but I found a couple of better pieces that really grabbed my attention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment